Teen fatally hits wheelchair-bound woman crossing street | News
KANNAPOLIS, NC (WBTV)- Police in Kannapolis say a wheelchair-bound woman was killed on Sunday night after being hit by a teen driving a sports car while she attempted to cross the street.
According to police, the accident happened at the intersection of North Cannon Boulevard and Solutions Works Drive around 6:30 p.m. Sunday night.
The woman, 60-year-old Dee Christy Shuping, was a resident of Britthaven of Kannapolis, an assisted living facility. Officers told WBTV that Shuping died on the scene from her injuries.
According to police, a 17-year-old Kannapolis man was driving the vehicle which hit Shuping.
"Based on witness statements and evidence collection, it appeared that [Shuping] attempted to cross the south bound lanes while the traffic signals would not allow her to cross," police released in a statement on Monday morning.
No charges have been filed against the driver. Officers say neither speed nor alcohol is suspected as contributors to this accident.
Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Kannapolis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- A special contribution from Salisbury Police Chief Rory Collins
- NASCAR Truck Series trailer stolen from Rowan business park
- Police: Former foster parent charged with sex crimes against kids
- "I know that guy!" Man caught after victim takes his picture and lets sheriff give to media
- Wanted man now faces charges for guns, drugs at Lakewood Apartments