New Date for Big Rivalry in 2013 | Sports & Recreation
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Starting in 2013, the annual "Battle for the Bell" game between Concord and A.L. Brown will be moved to week 1 from its traditional spot of the last game of the season. That means, students won't even be in school by the time this game takes place.
In 2013, A.L. Brown will move to 4A and Concord 3A and they will both be in new conferences.
And because the Wonders will be in an 8 team league and Concord in a 9 team league, they can't play on the final week.
An attempt to play in week 3 was tried, but scheduling conflicts ended that discussion.
So it was either play in week 1 or don't play at all and AT ALL is NOT an option. This game is the longest continuous rivalry in the state of North Carolina dating back to 1931.
This is not the first time these 2 programs have not been in the same conference. From 2001-2004, they were both 3A schools but were not in the same conference. The rivalry was continued and contested right before league play. The next 2 years, they were put back in that same conference, but the game was the 2nd to last game of the season.
2012's game will be on the final Friday of the regular season October 26th and will be as heated as ever especially with a new date for 2013.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Kannapolis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- A special contribution from Salisbury Police Chief Rory Collins
- NASCAR Truck Series trailer stolen from Rowan business park
- Police: Former foster parent charged with sex crimes against kids
- "I know that guy!" Man caught after victim takes his picture and lets sheriff give to media
- Wanted man now faces charges for guns, drugs at Lakewood Apartments